- About FCC
- Donor Sperm
- Fertility Preservation
- Infertility Care
- Patient Resources
- Video Library
- Special Offers from FCC
- News & Updates
- FCC Fertility Blog
- Male Masturbation
- Fertility Clinic Directory
- Other Helpful Resources
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Purchase Research Vials of Sperm
The Sperm Quality Improvement Checklist
There are a few ways a man’s sperm quality can be less than optimal when the time comes for it to fertilize an egg:
● Its volume is lower than 1.5 ml
● Its concentration is lower than 20 million sperm per ml
● Its motility (percentage of sperm moving) is below 50%
● It’s misshapen or prone to clumping
● It contains a large percentage of white or red blood cells
There are also a few ways you can naturally enhance the quality of your sperm. If you and your partner are ready to get pregnant, make sure you work to get your sperm in tip-top shape.
- Eat a well-balanced diet, rich in vitamins. If you’re overweight, eating well to lose weight can also help improve your sperm quality.
- Reduce stress in your life and get more sleep. Stress and fatigue can negatively impact the hormones that create sperm and maintain erections.
- Reduce (or quit) your use of alcohol and tobacco. Smoking and drinking damage your overall health and can damage sperm production too.
- Get plenty of exercise. Healthy activity levels can lower your weight and stress levels, and help you get more sleep – all great ways to naturally elevate your sperm quality.
- Avoid certain prescription medications. Select medicines – like antibiotics, steroids, and antipsychotics – can temporarily reduce sperm production. Please be sure to discuss this with your doctor before making any decisions about medication.
- Stay away from environmental toxins. Avoid spending time in areas with poor air quality or excessively high temperatures, which can hurt your health and your sperm.
- Don’t eat foods made from soy. Foods containing phytoestrogens can reduce testosterone and negatively impact your sperm production.
While none of these sperm quality improvement checklist tasks is a sure bet to help your sperm excel, they’re great ways to improve your lifestyle for optimum health, and usually helpful in boosting sperm volume and motility. The best step you can take if you’ve been unsuccessful in your quest to start a family is to meet with a fertility specialist and have your sperm tested. Your healthcare provider can make additional recommendations for natural methods of improving sperm quality. He or she might also prescribe medication or supplements.
If you’re in the greater San Diego area, the Fertility Center of California can help your sperm reach its full potential. Make an appointment today.