What Makes a Sperm Bank Trustworthy?
It’s one thing to find a local sperm bank, but it’s another to find one that you can trust. The to-do list of a parent-to-be in need of a sperm donor can be long, but it’s important to locate the right sperm bank for your growing family. To make this process easier, we wanted to highlight the features that make a sperm bank trustworthy so you’ll know what to look for as you make a decision. Not all sperm banks are alike, so let’s break down the checkpoints you can rely on to help ensure that the next steps in your family building journey are as straightforward as possible.
The Sperm Bank Checklist
- Is the facility properly licensed and registered? And, are these all up-to-date? Sperm banks should be registered with the FDA and should have state licensures in place. This information should be present on any sperm bank website or within their offices, but you can also ask that it be confirmed directly.
- How long has the facility been in business? You’ll want to connect with an established, reputable sperm bank that has an operating history. This is mostly so you can receive answers to questions about things like their success rates.
- Are they using the most advanced reproductive technology? Fortunately, there have been improvements to various reproductive technologies in the last 5-10 years that have led to improved success rates, less invasive procedures, and shortened treatment cycles.
- Do they offer services outside of sperm donation? While donor sperm may be your top priority, there are clear benefits to choosing a facility that offers additional services. These can include: fertility preservation (sperm freezing), semen storage, Intrauterine Insemination (IUI), semen analysis and washing, sex selection, and more. This will save you the need of having to find a fertility clinic that can coordinate with your sperm bank if you don’t already have one.
- Can they provide first-hand accounts of what it’s like to work with their facility? Your sperm bank of choice should be able to offer a range of patient testimonials and reviews if requested. Learning from the experience of others who have already gone through the sperm donation process is one of the best ways to get a feel for what it’s like to work with a specific sperm bank. You also have the option of researching online reviews.
As a prospective client, you have every right to ask these questions of a sperm bank you’re considering working with. Finding the right donor for your family means finding a sperm bank that shares the industry's standards. If you have questions or would like to connect with a member of our staff, please contact us today.